If you own a business, your website is your best salesperson, working for you 24/7, 365 days a year. In today’s digital age, it is becoming almost impossible to run a company without a website. More than 70 percent of small businesses have websites—up from 50 percent in 2018.
Choosing the right team to create your website is just as important as hiring the right staff and creating the right product. Websites function as the cornerstone of your digital presence, affecting marketing, brand reputation, lead generation, revenue, and growth. That’s why it’s critical to hire the best developer—especially in Austin. As one of the fastest growing tech hubs, Austin is replete with coders, developers, and digital experts. However, not all web developers are created equal. Here are five tips if you are looking to hire an Austin web developer to build your website.
- Make sure you’re getting a combination of web designer and web developer. Web designers specialize in the visuals of a website—how it looks, branding and logos, etc. Web developers are more concerned with how a website works—coding, the ability to click on links, designing that important CMS system. Once, getting a website built meant hiring a separate designer and developer to handle the front and back end. Nowadays, reputable web design companies should offer both. An Austin web design company that only makes websites look good is a waste of money.
- Choose a web developer experienced in mobile. About half of all web traffic originates from mobile devices, such as a phone or tablet. That’s why many businesses are opting for mobile-first design, which prioritizes the needs and preferences of the mobile user. When searching for the best Austin web developer, look for an agency that specializes in mobile design and development.
- Ask about user experience design. User experience (UX) design in web development means thinking through what a website visitor’s experience will be like when they land on your page. Is the navigation menu easy to use? Is the flow of the content and design intuitive? Can visitors get the information they need? Do pages load quickly? A good web developer will have a solid UX strategy and be able to tell you how they will make the user experience on your website simple and effective.
- Make sure you will have full ownership. Some out-of-the box, template-based websites are difficult to customize and may give you limited control or ownership over your website. Before you hire a web development company, talk with them about what the process will look like after your site is launched. Will you be able to make updates and edits? Will you fully own the content so that you can transfer it to another hosting provider or website if you choose to rebrand or go a different direction?
- Know What You Want. Before finding someone to develop your company website, you have to know what you want that website to look and feel like. Spend some time looking at websites you like, and figure out why you like them—do you want something highly visual and interactive, or more minimal? Do you expect to edit content, or plan on only the occasional redevelopment? Knowing what you specifically want will help you screen potential web developers—and streamline the process of getting it.
Questions about how content marketing and web design strategies could elevate your brand and improve your bottom line? Schedule a consultation with one of the digital strategists at ATX Web Designs by clicking here.